Meet your academic advisor!
Amanda Blocker is the academic advisor for Literature, Media, and Communication majors. She has over six years of academic advising experience and enjoys helping students navigate their way through college. As a former English literature major, Amanda understands and appreciates the value of a liberal arts degree and has experienced first-hand how a passion for creativity, communication, and critique translate in the workplace and the global community.
Please use Gradesfirst (link below) to schedule an appointment with me!
- Degreeworks is how you view your degree requirements — it shows what courses you have completed, what you are currently taking, and what you still have left! If you have any questions about your degreeworks, please contact your academic advisor.
- The Catalog is where you can find the published version of your degree requirements by the university’s Registrar. Your catalog year is important because you follow the specific curriculum requirements that were in effect that academic year. Catalogs may vary from year to year, so it is important to pay attention to your specific requirements. http://www.catalog.gatech.edu/programs/literature-media-communication-bs/
- An LMC-specific Degree Summary with annotations can be found here: https://lmcdegree.lmc.gatech.edu/description-of-curriculum-2/
- The Research Option is a degree designator option for all undergraduate students. In pursuing the research option, you will research and write a thesis with a research mentor and have opportunities to present your research and/or submit your thesis for publication. For an overview and more information, visit: http://www.undergradresearch.gatech.edu/get-involved.
- The International Plan is a globally-focused degree designator option that incorporates study abroad experiences and significant international study as part of your degree requirements. For an overview and more information, visit: https://oie.gatech.edu/ip_students
- Internships are strongly encouraged though not required for LMC majors. Both paid and unpaid internships are great ways to gain experience in the field prior to graduation. For more information, visit: https://colab.lmc.gatech.edu/internships/
- OSCAR is where you register for classes: https://oscar.gatech.edu/
- For more info on How to Register: https://registrar.gatech.edu/registration/registration-information
- The schedule of classes is on OSCAR and shows specific courses, dates, and times by subject. Next semester’s schedule of classes is usually posted two weeks prior to when registration begins.
- Wondering what classes to take next semester? Always review your Degreeworks to see what courses you still need to complete your degree requirements. You can also schedule an advisement appointment to discuss future schedule options.
- Course descriptions for all courses can be found by clicking the course link in OSCAR. LMC course descriptions specific to next semester can be found here: https://www.lmc.gatech.edu/coursedescriptions *Please note: not all faculty members submit an extended course description.*
- Registration questions are handled by each department. For a list of departmental contacts, visit: https://registrar.gatech.edu/info/permit-overload-departmental-contacts
- A course overload is a permission to register for a course that is full. A permit is a permission to register for a class that is designated for a special population (ex: major-restricted). Overload and permit requests are submitted through OSCAR’s override system. For more information on overloads and permits for LMC courses, visit: https://www.lmc.gatech.edu/overloads-permits For more information on overloads and permits for courses from other subject areas, visit: https://registrar.gatech.edu/info/permit-overload-departmental-contacts
- Internship registration information can be found here: https://colab.lmc.gatech.edu/internships/
Info coming soon!
The Spring 2020 schedule will be posted on October 16th on Oscar.
Please visit https://lmcdegree.lmc.gatech.edu/useful-forms/ for a list of common forms and links to their .pdf versions.
- FASET for new freshmen:
At FASET (Georgia Tech’s new student orientation program), students can expect to meet with their academic advisor to review any AP/IB/dual enrollment credit and to create a schedule for fall semester.
- FASET for new transfers:
Students transferring from another university into the LMC major can expect to meet with their academic advisor to review all previously completed credit, to create a schedule for fall semester, and discuss an approximate date of degree completion.
To register for FASET or for FASET FAQs, please visit: https://transitionprograms.gatech.edu/content/faset-orientation
OAG (Online Application for Graduation) Deadlines:
Fall 2019 Graduation – August 23, 2019
Spring 2020 Graduation – January 10, 2020
For information on the OAG, please visit: https://registrar.gatech.edu/info/online-application-graduation-oag-undergraduate-students
Why doesn’t my degreeworks match my major checklist?
Degreeworks is based on your current catalog and any checklists/paperwork you have may not correspond with the correct catalog. Degreeworks is THE platform used to review and confirm your degree status. If you have questions or concerns about your degreeworks, please reach out to your advisor asap.
Why isn’t my minor showing up on degreeworks?
If you are pursuing a minor but have not officially declared it, you will want to complete the change of minor form prior to submitting the OAG. To officially declare a minor, you must meet with your current academic advisor and the academic advisor for the minor. More info at the link above.
LMC has our very own career advisor, Jillann Hertel! For more information and scheduling an appointment, visit: https://lmcdegree.lmc.gatech.edu/portfolio/jillann-hertel/
She also assists with LMC-related unpaid internships. More information here: https://colab.lmc.gatech.edu/internships/
In order to be in good standing with the university, you need to achieve certain term and overall grade point averages. If you do not meet certain term and overall GPA designations, you may end up on Warning, Probation, Review, or Drop/Dismissal. For more information, please visit: https://registrar.gatech.edu/info/academic-standing
Academic advising is required for all LMC majors on Probation.
Grade Substitution Policy
Students may repeat a course for grade substitution up to two times. This new policy replaces the previous one and is effective Summer 2019. For more information, please visit: http://www.catalog.gatech.edu/policies/grading-gpa/grade-substitution/
- Financial aid — for questions about tuition and scholarships (HOPE, ZELL, etc)
- Admissions — for questions about requirements to attend Georgia Institute of Technology
- Registrar — for submitting transcripts, turning in many institute forms, the academic calendar, and more
- Counseling — for mental health support and assistance
- Center for Academic Success — for tutoring, coaching, and other programs to help you succeed