The following contains job specifications for the Wade Walker Park Family YMCA Communications Internship position for Summer 2017. This is a class-credit internship for 20 hours a week.
Individuals would need to be familiar with several social media technologies (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube), Microsoft Office Suite (including Publisher), be someone who is able to blog is a plus, and individuals who are familiar with editing and producing videos for commercial production.
Communications Intern Job Specifications
Branch: Wade Walker Park Family YMCA
Supervisor: Day Camp Director
Term: Summer 2017, 20 hours a week
Under the direction of the Day Camp Director, the Communications Intern is responsible for ensuring that all communications are prepared with the Y voice and cause focus. This includes executing a communications plan, managing social media communications, writing media releases, planning events and promoting branch programs and activities. All duties must be performed in accordance with the policies, goals, mission, values and objectives established by the YMCA of Metropolitan Atlanta.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Exemplify YMCA values, leadership qualities and a professional image
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with print and social media
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work independently, problem solve and possess effective time management skills
- Pass mandatory State of GA criminal background check
- Pass mandatory drug test
Organizational Competencies – Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports Why It Matters Fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Execute communications plan for the summer day camp program.
- Write and produce weekly day camp communication piece – imovie, newsletter, etc.
- Write and post 3 Facebook posts daily with pictures aligning with the brand of the Y.
- Create and send weekly welcome emails on Fridays and end of the week thank you emails to camper parents.
- Promote branch programs and activities.
- Assist in planning of summer day camp special events.
- Attend and participate in meetings and activities pertaining to areas of responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ergonomic Requirements: Bending, stooping, standing, lifting up to 40 pounds, seeing, verbal communication and hearing.