INTERNSHIP TITLE: Publicity & Marketing Intern
This is an unpaid position, and candidates must commit to 10 hours per week for a term of 10 – 12 weeks.
Deadline: May 1, 2018
Semester: Summer 2018
Length: May 2018 – August 2018 (10-12 weeks)
Contact: Emily Dowdell
Location: Peachtree Publishers
1700 Chattahoochee Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30318
Peachtree Publishers’ publicity and marketing department seeks an intern to assist in the development of our forthcoming season’s publicity and marketing plans and in the execution of daily department tasks.
Responsibilities are commensurate with experience and skill, but may include the following:*
- Writing reader’s reports with an eye toward publicity and marketing opportunities
- Attending and taking notes on seasonal presentation and launch meetings
- Answering phones and distributing author mail as necessary
- Mailing review copies, catalog, and seasonal reviewer checklist
- Reading trade journals (Booklist, PW, SLJ, Horn Book, Kirkus) and creating a trend report
- Drafting social media and blog copy, maintaining stats log, and conducting best practice research as directed
- Searching for media coverage of frontlist titles
- Conducting media list research and development
- Conceptualizing and mocking-up marketing materials
- Other tasks as needed
Backgrounds in Marketing, Publishing, Public Relations, Communications, English, Writing, and Journalism are preferred, but not required. Current students, recent graduates, and grad students will be considered. Interns should be strong writers, creative thinkers, extremely self-motivated, and interested in pursuing a career in book publishing, marketing, or publicity.
- Industry familiarity
- Social media experience
- Blogging experience
- Marketing experience
- PR experience
- An interest in children’s and/or YA books
- Graphic Design skill
*If interested in specializing in any particular area of children’s book publicity, please indicate this in your cover letter.
*Please also note, the application states a deadline of August 1 for the joint application– the deadline is extended to August 15 for Publicity and Marketing applicants, but remains at August 1 for Editorial applicants.