The Museum of the City of New York celebrates and interprets the city, educating the public about its distinctive character, especially its heritage of diversity, opportunity, and perpetual transformation. Founded in 1923 as a private, nonprofit corporation, the Museum connects the past, present, and future of New York City. It serves the people of New York and visitors from around the world through exhibitions, school and public programs, publications, and collections.
The Social Media Manager tells the story with text, video, and photographic content of the Museum of the City of New York across its social media channels, engaging with, monitoring, and growing the Museum’s audience. They manage the day-to-day activities on the channels, coordinating within and across departments to develop a dynamic editorial calendar.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop overall social media strategy to drive engagement and increase followers for the institution
- Develop channel-specific, timely content and campaigns to support editorial calendar for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Snapchat appropriately maintaining the brand voice across platforms to engage followers
- Collaborate with curatorial, public programs, education, group tours, and family programs stakeholders to develop compelling content to support attendance and drive engagement
- Conduct livestreamed social media events in support of the Museum’s collection and exhibitions
- Pitch creative concepts for organization-wide social media initiatives, influencer outreach, and campaigns — both video and audio
- Stay on top of emerging social channels; analyze and formally present opportunities for growth
- Report actionable insights and KPIs on a regular basis
- Monitor and report trends in social media, competitor, and channel topics
- Run cross-platform social advertising campaigns
A successful candidate will have:
- A self-starter who is excited to uncover new tools, opportunities, and behaviors to drive the Museum’s marketing thinking forward
- Excellent writing, editing, communication, and presentation skills
- 4+ years’ experience managing social media channels for a brand or nonprofit; integrated marketing experience a plus
- A team player with a great attitude
- Strong knowledge of social media channels and tools and digital marketing
- Above average knowledge and experience using programs such as Excel, InDesign, Mail Chimp, PowerPoint, and Word
- Detail-oriented with great organization skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, think on feet, and multi-task
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communications or related field
Excellent benefits package, including a defined benefit pension plan as well as a 401K savings plan.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please email your resume and cover letter to the Museum of the City of New York Attention: Human Resources Department to email@example.com. To be considered, please include Social Media Manager within the subject line of your email.
Learn more here.