Internship Program We are seeking interns for summer and fall (one for summer, and two for fall) to work as part of the editorial staff of the Atlanta Review. The Atlanta Review is an international, award-winning poetry journal that has been published for 22 years. Our internship is designed to give students the opportunity to gain real-world experience in literary publishing. Prospective interns should have a have an interest in literary publishing and/or creative writing.
Summer, Fall, & Spring Administrative/Organizational Internships
These internships provide experience in many of the following areas: database management, magazine circulation and distribution, fundraising, event planning, marketing, and research. Interns will also be expected to assist as needed on general administrative tasks.
Fall & Spring Editorial Production Internships In addition to broader administrative/organizational internships, we offer one editorial internship, working closely with our Editor and Managing Editor. Interns must be critical, detail-oriented thinkers who are adept at online and archival research have strong writing skills, and an interest in the relationship between text and image. Applicants MUST have extensive InDesign experience. Previous experience with publishing is desirable; an enthusiasm for these fields is essential. If applying for this focused internship, please note the additional support materials requested in the application outlined below.
Eligibility: Applicants must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at Georgia Tech. All interns must be organized, professional, proficient with computers—including basic Office software and social media applications—and able to work with minimal supervision.
Commitment: Interns must commit to working a minimum of 8 hours per week for a period of a semester (summer, fall, or spring). Please indicate your availability in your application. All internships are unpaid, but we will provide academic credit through the School of Literature, Media, and Communication and your name will appear on our masthead. You will also receive 5 copies of any issue of the journal in which your name appears.
Summer Deadline: May 1
Fall Deadline: July 31
Spring Deadline: November 30
Application Process: To apply, please submit the following:
1. A cover letter indicating:
- Why you chose to apply for an internship at the Atlanta Review
- What you hope to gain from the experience
- What skills or experiences you bring to the organization
- Information about relevant coursework
- The dates/time period you are available to intern.
2. A resume detailing your educational background and past work experience.
3. Two references, supplying the referee’s name, title, phone number, email, and relationship to the applicant. Examples of good references are: professors, employers, previous supervisors at other internships or volunteer opportunities.
4. Editorial Internship applicants should also provide a design sample.
Please email the above documents to Dr. Karen Head, Editor <firstname.lastname@example.org> and Dr. JC Reilly, Managing Editor <email@example.com>.