The Institute for Data Engineering and Science is seeking an undergraduate or graduate student for a part-time science writing position.
Time commitment per week: 10-15 hours
Duration: 6 months initially, with possibility to extend
Hourly rate: $10.00 to $13.00 (initially)
Location: IDEaS suite on the first floor of TSRB in Tech Square
Start date: immediate, negotiable
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Developing content for GT websites and print materials, from brief event summaries to feature stories
- Post content using GT’s Mercury, digital display systems, and content management systems like Drupal
- Interact with subject matter experts, including interviews and iterative reviews of writing
- Conduct fact-checking and incorporate review comments
- Tailor content for public and technical audiences
- Attend meetings to plan content calendars and interact with other communications professionals
- Continue learning skills that differentiate institutional writing from journalism, and effective practices for interacting with researchers
- If interested, help run a unit social media campaign
- If interested, learn about technical writing for research audiences and opportunities in this area.
To apply, email the following to Jennifer Salazar at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Statement of your interest in the position
- Names and emails of two references
- Three writing samples
Writing samples need not be published material and can be created for this application. The major criteria for applicant selection are initiative, skill, an interest in communicating science, and a willingness to be flexible in learning new skills and techniques.